Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Kingdom of Heaven - a film I wanted to see

Bio - Kingdom of Heaven (film) Wikipedia RSS Feed
A detailed study of the film and I must agree the acting is good especially the King (Baldwin IV) and Saladin. The people all appear to be historical. Baldwin V was it seems in the film but disappeared in the cutting. The siege of Jerusalem is great spectacle.

Kingdom of Heaven - Wikiquote
has this
Saladin:: Will you yield the city?
Balian of Ibelin:: Before I lose it, I will burn it to the ground. Your holy places - ours. Every last thing in Jerusalem that drives men mad.
Saladin:: I wonder if it would not be better if you did.
Sort of sums up the issue - the film closes with a line about 1,000 years later and Jerusalem still driving men mad.

The film's message appears to be that the religions who value Jerusalem all should be able to live together. Muslim do use similar words to Christians when talking about their God. And the film discusses what is the purpose of life. Seems to be summed up in this quote

Hospitaller: I put no stock in Religion. By the word of religion, I've seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the "Will of God". Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. And goodness - what God desires - [pointing at his head then heart] is here and here. By what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man [smiles] or not.

So depends on your world view - what am I trying to do whilst here on earth. Do you think there is life after death? Do you believe in a God? Are you forgiven?

Why not check out Ron Lankshear's Faith Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

I usually delete comments from Anonymous

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.